Monday, October 27, 2008

Resistance to fun

So ever since the PS3 came out I haven't liked it. I thought it was too bulky and an over hyped system that delivered mediocre game play. That isn't to say that it doesn't have a lot of stuff packed into it.

It might just be me but I think its a bloated system that isn't all that approachable by most people, namely because of the price tag. Also it doesn't have a very large game base which has since deterred me from buying one.

But we do have one just we haven't played it almost ever. I wanted to change that today so I started to play with it, then I played the PS3.

I decided since Resistance: fall of man just randomly appeared on the coffee table that I ought to play it. I looked at the cover "9.5 out of 10" and "5 of 5" in a big gold star show that this game is serious. So I was hoping for a lot.

I came in looking for a really awesome game because I have been spoiled by Dead space's fucking epic story telling and awesome everything. But what I got was a throw back to crappy cut scene hell. I don't know if that much has changed since this game has come out but peoples attention span must have been about as long as a humming bird. Because I have played the game maybe an hour or two and I have already been subjected to 10 or more cut scenes that are the boring narrated sepia stills. Not like you cant do an FMV or an in game cut scenes for fuck sake.

The controller and controls are the antithesis of intuitive. Thank god you can totally rearrange it to your liking but damn. The fire button would logically be the "new" trigger on the PS3 controller right? WRONG, its the one right above it. Even worse is the change weapon and shoot are right on top of each other so in a heated battle you accidentally switch to your gun that is empty and you end up shitting a few bricks because of it. Another complaint is that the croutch is the left trigger and the secondary fire is the L1. So image that you want to duck and fire that grenade launcher, so sorry my friend. Unless you're that 2% of the population with a vestigial index finger, you're fucked.

Thats not to mention that the SIXAXIS controller is very un-ergonomic. More and more games require the use of the joysticks; and the PS3 controller is still using the old D-pad oriented controller. It is more ergonomic to use the buttons and D-pad rather than the triggers and joysticks. I understand familiarity and how the precieved notion that it may draw in those PS enthusiasts. But why not make it new and exciting to lure new people in and entice the older people, ha NO.

But I still trudge on hoping the game gets better so we will see.

No comments: